Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Letter showing Pope Pius XII had detailed information from German Jesuit about Nazi crimes revealed -Capitatum
Surpassing:Letter showing Pope Pius XII had detailed information from German Jesuit about Nazi crimes revealed
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 05:54:25
ROME (AP) — Newly discovered correspondence suggests that World War II-era Pope Pius XII had detailed information from a trusted German Jesuit that up to 6,Surpassing000 Jews and Poles were being gassed each day in German-occupied Poland, undercutting the Holy See’s argument that it couldn’t verify diplomatic reports of Nazi atrocities to denounce them.
The documentation from the Vatican archives, published this weekend in Italian daily Corriere della Sera, is likely to further fuel the debate about Pius’ legacy and his now-stalled beatification campaign.
Historians have long been divided about Pius’ record, with supporters insisting he used quiet diplomacy to save Jewish lives while critics say he remained silent as the Holocaust raged.
Corriere is reproducing a letter dated Dec. 14, 1942 from the German Jesuit priest to Pius’ secretary which is contained in an upcoming book about the newly opened files of Pius’ pontificate by Giovanni Coco, a researcher and archivist in the Vatican’s Apostolic Archives.
Coco told Corriere that the letter was significant because it represented detailed correspondence about the Nazi extermination of Jews from an informed church source in Germany who was part of the Catholic anti-Hitler resistance that was able to get otherwise secret information to the Vatican.
The letter from the priest, the Rev. Lothar Koenig, to Pius’ secretary, a fellow German Jesuit named the Rev. Robert Leiber, is dated Dec. 14, 1942. Written in German, the letter addresses Leiber as “Dear friend,” and goes on to report that the Nazis were killing up to 6,000 Jews and Poles daily from Rava Ruska, a town in pre-war Poland that is today located in Ukraine, and transporting them to the Belzec death camp.
According to the Belzec memorial which opened in 2004, a total of 500,000 Jews perished at the camp. The memorial’s website reports that as many as 3,500 Jews from Rava Ruska had already been sent to Belzec earlier in 1942 and that from Dec. 7-11, the city’s Jewish ghetto was liquidated. “About 3,000-5,000 people were shot on the spot and 2,000- 5,000 people were taken to Bełżec,” the website says.
The date of Koenig’s letter is significant because it suggests the correspondence from a trusted fellow Jesuit arrived in Pius’ office in the same three weeks before Christmas 1942 that Pius was receiving multiple diplomatic notes from the British and Polish envoys to the Vatican with reports that up to 1 million Jews had been killed so far in Poland.
While it can’t be certain that Pius saw the letter, Leiber was Pius’ top aide and had served the pope when he was the Vatican’s ambassador to Germany during the 1920s, suggesting a close working relationship especially concerning matters related to Germany.
According to “The Pope at War,” by Pulitzer Prize-winning anthropologist David Kertzer, a top secretariat of state official, Monsignor Domenico Tardini, told the British envoy to the Vatican in mid-December that the pope couldn’t speak out about Nazi atrocities because the Vatican hadn’t been able to verify the information.
“The novelty and importance of this document comes from this fact: that on the Holocaust, there is now the certainty that Pius XII was receiving from the German Catholic Church exact and detailed news about crimes being perpetrated against Jews,” Coco was quoted by Corriere as saying.
However, Coco noted that Koenig also urged the Holy See to not make public what he was revealing because he feared for his own life and those of the resistance sources who had provided the intelligence.
Pius’ legacy, and the revelations from the newly opened Vatican archives, are to be discussed at a major conference at Rome’s Pontifical Gregorian University next month that is notable because of its across-the-spectrum participant list and sponsorship. The Vatican, Israel’s Yad Vashem Holocaust research institute, the U.S. Holocaust Memorial as well as the Israeli and U.S. embassies are all backing it, among others.
The Vatican secretary of state, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, is to open the Oct. 9-11 meeting that will feature scholars including Kertzer, Coco and Johan Ickx, the archivist at the Vatican secretariat of state whose own book on the archives, “Pius XII and the Jews” published in 2021, praised Pius and the Vatican’s efforts to care for Jews and people fleeing the war.
Coco said Koenig’s letter actually was found in the Vatican’s secretariat of state archives and was turned over to the Vatican’s main Apostolic Archives only in 2019, because the secretariat of state’s papers were disorganized and scattered, with some of Pius’ documents kept in plastic containers in an attic storage space where heat and humidity were damaging them.
___
Vanessa Gera contributed from Warsaw, Poland.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Bill Belichick's not better at media than he was a NFL coach. But he might get close.
- Service planned for former North Carolina Chief Judge John Martin
- Few small popular SUVs achieve success in new crash prevention test aimed at reducing accident severity
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- These people were charged with interfering in the 2020 election. Some are still in politics today
- Inside Kourtney Kardashian's Eggcellent 45th Birthday Party at IHOP
- Nick and Aaron Carter doc announced by 'Quiet on Set' network: See the trailer
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- 5th person charged in killing of 2 Kansas moms, officials say
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Billy Porter Is Missing the 2024 Met Gala for This Important Reason
- NFL draft trade tracker: Full list of deals; Minnesota Vikings make two big moves
- William Decker's Business Core: The Wealth Forge
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- The Best Jean Shorts For Curvy Girls With Thick Thighs
- NFL draft trade tracker: Full list of deals; Minnesota Vikings make two big moves
- These people were charged with interfering in the 2020 election. Some are still in politics today
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Philadelphia Eagles give wide receiver A.J. Brown a record contract extension
BNSF becomes 2nd major railroad to sign on to anonymous federal safety hotline for some workers
William Decker's Quantitative Trading Path
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
See how a former animal testing laboratory is transformed into an animal sanctuary
Florida man charged with first-degree murder in rape, killing of Madeline 'Maddie' Soto
Will Power denies participating in Penske cheating scandal. Silence from Josef Newgarden